Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

How to Be Awesome at Podcasting



I have really cool friends.

Seriously, if I were to take you on a tour of just the friends I have on Facebook, I'd point out the ones who are musicians, teachers, doctors, parents, dentists, authors, movie directors, bee keepers, farmers, police and military personnel, political activists, bloggers, world travelers, Olympic hopefuls, and so many more.

One day, one of my really cool friends, Rebecca Johnson, who happens to work in television and does her own podcasts on the side, asked if anyone would be interested in helping her out with a series she was working on.  Of course, I said yes.

It's called Operation Cobra Podcast, and it is a discussion podcast about ABC's television show, Once Upon a Time.

This is awesome enough in and of itself.  I love that show, although I can't listen to the podcast right now because Netflix only has season one right now, and I'm trying to avoid spoilers.  Still, it's very cool.

Well, this summer, while the show is off air, my friend Rebecca, who I still call Bacca, and always will because that's what we called her in high school, is doing a series of radio dramas highlighting some of the more obscure fairy tales out there.  These are the crazy, creepy fairy tales that made the name Grimm synonymous with words like grisly and dark.

That's where we came in!

She gave me a couple of fairy tales to choose from, and honestly, I picked the one that was the least likely to give me nightmares.  At least, no one dies in it.  She came over one evening with all her awesome gear, and after Cricket had gone to bed, we totally recorded a radio drama in our living room!


Doesn't that look like so much fun?!  And it was!  We were able to read through the entire thing in one take, and then just go through and make a few adjustments for sound quality.  We even got to do a little Foley work!

This was lots of fun because we got to be super dramatic and cheesy and get in character.  Brian played two parts and Bacca did the naration.  Of course, she also took it back and did all the editing and everything else needed to make it sound truly awesome.

The best part is, she just posted our episode this week!  I'm cutting this post short so that you can go over there and check it out.  It's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment