Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Step 4



Treat Yourself Like You're Awesome

I am lucky that I learned this lesson at an early age.  I know many people who feel guilty when they do something for themselves or take time for themselves, and that's just sad.  Doing awesome things for yourself makes you FEEL awesome, which in turn makes you act awesome. 

I try to do one nice thing for myself every day, but really, it's usually more often than that.  I know things that make me happy and I do them.  They don't have to be big things--I mean, cruises make me really happy, but I don't go get one for myself.  It can be small things, like wearing a lotion that smells nice or taking a fifteen minute break to read a book.

1)  So the first step in Treating Yourself Like You're Awesome is knowing yourself.  What do you like?  What makes you smile?  What makes you happy inside?  I know that sounds super cheesy, but I also know people who can't answer those questions.  Not awesome.

Things I know about myself:  I like bright colors, chocolate, dancing, my friends and family, books, laughing, and learning new things.

For example, bright colors make me really happy.  Like, really happy.  So if I need a pick me up, I wear my yellow shirt or my brightly colored jewelry, or I paint my nails blue.  Or like on the previous post, when I'm setting up my moving plan, instead of numbering the rooms, I use a bright color-code so that every time I see it, it makes me happy, even when I'm doing something I hate, like packing.

2)  Pampering yourself is another great way to Treat Yourself Like You're Awesome.  I mean, who doesn't love to be pampered?  And this isn't just a girl thing.  I know several guys who love this stuff.  Massages, pedicures, facials, makeovers, spa time--those are all awesome ways to relax and de-stress.  Even if you can't spend the money to go to a spa, there are lots of pampering things you can do at home. 

And pampering doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.  Sports, hobbies, etc. can all be in this category.  I know working out for me is a form of pampering, because it's time I set aside just for me, and I feel great about myself when I do it. 

3)  And then of course, everyone likes buying things for themselves.  That's always fun, and a great way to be nice to yourself.  I probably do this too much, and I'm gonna need to scale back now that I'm not working, but that's ok.  It will just make it that much more special when I do buy something.  And it doesn't have to be something big.  Whether it's clothes, a latte, a video game, jewelry, sports or hobby equipment, etc. buying something can be a great way to reward ourselves for a goal met or a job well done, or to give us a pick-me-up when we're discouraged.

I personally love buying books, and I have a membership at Books-a-Million, so I get a discount, which is great.  I also love buying craft supplies, which is double fun because then you also get to do the craft!

4)  Saving the best for last, the best thing you can do to Treat Yourself Like You're Awesome is to only use positive self-talk.  This is gonna sound all psycology-ish, but it's really just common sense.  If someone you loved told you, "You can't do that.  You can't do anything right," or "You're terrible at that," you'd be heartbroken.  And yet we tell ourselves those things all the time. 

Don't. 

Just stop. 

Only talk to yourself like you would talk to someone else.  I know it sounds kinda silly and feely-good, but it makes a huge difference.  When you hear yourself start being negative, just be like, "Self, you can't talk to me that way."

(And by the way, please say that out loud in public sometime, and have a hidden camera to record the reactions.)

And don't even tell me you don't have time to do this stuff.  You make time for what's important, and you are important. 

Ok, so start Treating Yourself Like You're Awesome today.  Ready?  Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment